Pre-work screen defined
A Pre-work Screen (PWS) is a 15-30 minute functional test that a licensed TheraPro physical therapist performs to determine an individual’s ability to perform the physical requirements of a specific job. This screen is performed on job applicants as part of the application process for jobs requiring moderate to heavy workloads. For a small pre-negotiated fee the employer is able to obtain specific information on each job applicant including resting and active blood pressure and heart rate measurements, feedback on body mechanics during specific job related activities, and a “yes” or “no” answer given by a licensed physical therapist to the question of whether or not the job applicant is a good fit for the specific job tested.
In addition, each job applicant that passes the given PWS will receive training, education, and feedback from a licensed physical therapist on the appropriate body mechanics and positioning relative to the job test. This will ensure that each applicant the employer hires understands and is physically capable of performing the job related tasks required. The greatest benefit that the PWS process offers to companies is a capable and educated work staff, plus cost savings from reduced on-the-job injuries in the future.
How does TheraPro establish the PWS process?
It’s simple, just contact TheraPro to discuss and identify the different job positions within your company that are the possible cause for increased work-injury related costs. TheraPro will then schedule a time for an on-site analysis (functional job analysis or FJA) of each predetermined job position. The objective measures from the FJA will later be used to match each individual job to its own specific pre-work screen or job simulation. TheraPro will then perform these pre-work screens on all job applicants for each predetermined job category or as your company requests.
These jobs screenings are ongoing and can be performed within our clinics or onsite depending on the number of pre-work screenings required. Prior to the pre-work screen, each applicant must provide TheraPro with a picture ID with and a signed consent form for all services rendered.
Additional Benefits of a PWS
Additional benefits of a Prework Screen include:
- Non-discriminatory – TheraPro will insure there is a physical match between the worker and the job in a non-discriminatory manner.
- ADA Compliant – Because it matches the worker to specific jobs, the prework screen enables employers to make hiring decisions in a legal, fair, and non-discriminatory manner.
- Content Valid – Because the prework screen replicates the job no statistical analysis is needed. It is accurate and relatively inexpensive to develop. Employers appreciate the accuracy, legality, and cost effectiveness from WorkWell’s standardized approach.
- Accurate – A prework screen will accurately identify those individuals incapable of performing the work. Workers compensation costs are reduced over time as a direct result from this process.
- Educative – The PWS provides professional clinicians with the opportunity to educate qualified job applicants in proper safety techniques related to the job. This will also reduce injuries occurring in the work place and create additional cost savings for the employers due to the reduction in worker compensation claims.
- Work-accepted – Workers understand their jobs and ability to perform them. Costly and morale damaging litigation can be avoided. In fact, the PWS has encouraged many workers to become more physically fit.
- Progressive – The development of prework screens leads to the identification of needs for ergonomic modifications. As a result, jobs are made safer which will reduce injuries in the work place.
- WorkWell Systems Certified – this is the industry standard for the PWS, FJA, and FCE.